I had the opportunity to work with some world-class eggs over the last few weeks.
Available now here in Atlanta at Fresh Market locations, Pete and
Gerry’s heirloom eggs come in blue and tan.
The outside look of the eggs is like nothing you have seen before.
The light-blue color just makes you think of summer and all the good treats you can make.
When you crack them open, the bright yellow yoke brings the warmth of summer into your kitchen and provides a deep rich creamy flavor to any dish you choose to use them in.
Check out the recipe below from one of Atlanta’s fastest rising chefs.
Chef Ryan Hickey was generous enough to lend his time and skills to help make the wonderful banana bread pudding recipe below.
He used banana bread from World Famous bakers Holman and Finch along with Pete and Gerry’s heirloom eggs. The creaminess of the organic eggs brings out the full flavor of the bananas.
Try it for yourself and let us know what you think.
Check outs Pete and Gerry’s site http://peteandgerrys.com/ to find out even more and the closet place to find them in your area.
As always Eat Food, Love Food!
Ryan’s Over the top Banana Bread Pudding
- 12 oz loaf of H&F Banana Bread cut into 1” cubes ( If your not able to use H&F most firm banana breads will work)
- 3 medium bananas, peeled, thinly sliced on diagonal into 1/4 ovals
- 3 Pete and Gerry’s Eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar plus 3 Tbs for crust
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbs Banana Rum (optional)
- 1 tspn fresh grated ginger (optional)
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- Caramel sauce for drizzling with a small pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325F when using glass or 350F for metal or nonstick pans.
- You’ll need a deep baking or roasting pan to hold the baking dish and water that can be filled up to half the depth of the baking dish
- In this recipe a large glass coffee mug were used but any oven safe glass baking dish can be used.
- * Butter the baking dish and set aside.
- * Mix caramel sauce and sea salt in small bowl.
- * Place 1 tspn of butter at the bottom of each baking dish then spoon 1 Tbs of caramel into the bottom of each baking dish and set aside.
- * Cut bread into 1” squares.
- * Whisk eggs, heavy cream, milk, ¼ cup light brown sugar, vanilla, kosher salt, Rum, and ginger in medium bowl.
- * Layer the ingredients as follows a single layer of bananas in to each baking dish followed by a single layer of bread. Repeat with a layer of bananas followed by a layer of bread. Layer as many times as possible with bread being the top. Pour enough milk mixture into each baking dish to reach top.
- * Let stand until bread absorbs some of the mixture about 15-20 minutes. Reserve any remaining mix.
- * Brush exposed bread pieces with melted butter.
- * Sprinkle with 1 Tbs Light brown sugar.
- * Set baking dish in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up the sides of baking dish.
- * Bake puddings until set and knife inserted into custard comes out clean, about 45 minutes depending on the size of the baking dish
- * Remove from pan; cool. DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- * Serve bread puddings warm or at room temperature.